Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sad News for COD4 MW2, no dedicated server anymore!

+4
clearwater87
DareTheDevil
pksllayer
Ghost_000
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sad News for COD4 MW2, no dedicated server anymore! Empty Sad News for COD4 MW2, no dedicated server anymore!

Post  Ghost_000 October 19th 2009, 5:38 pm

With the recent announcement that instead of dedicated servers for online play there would be a matchmaking service like on the console variants of MW2, there has been a uprising of discontent from fans with the announcement on the internet today. From posting on the Infinity Ward forums and other forums showing their discontent, to numerous petitions online (with over 42K signatures so far), to canceling their pre-orders and threatening to not buy the game and pirate it because of IW got rid of dedicated servers and replaced it with a matchmaking option. So with all this madness going on, why are dedicated servers something PC gamers really care and need about to go and do all this?

As a PC gamer myself, I bought the original MW for the PC and played countless hours killing people online and having fun doing it.I would start the game, look for the usual server that I would join, and when I joined I would see the usual people in there and we would play the game. With the decision to replace dedicated servers with a matchmaking service, it would not be the same.

Changing to a matchmaking service makes the PC version more like the console version. This can cause many things to be different that would be normal to other PC games that have dedicated servers. The following things are a result of this happening:

Matchmaking issues

When I start up CoD:MW or almost any other multi-player game I just click on the “Join Game” button and I can look for the usual server that I go to and play with the usual people that play on there. With the change to matchmaking, you would no longer be able to chose what server you can go to and what people you will play with. You will be playing with people that is your rank, but that does not mean that they are not noobs and non-team players or not. Every time you play, there will be a new set of people there playing with you.

Latency = Higher

Dedicated servers are run by providers that have a huge amount of upload/download speed and bandwidth. They have upload speeds of over 100 MBits/sec and with high upload speeds, it keeps ping down. With matchmaking the end user has to run the server and not everyone has 100 MBits/sec upload connections, let alone 10 MBits/sec or 5 MBits/sec. This will cause the ping to increase not a lot, but enough to make it lag and have horrible hit registration.

No more BIG games.

With matchmaking you won’t be able to set up big games because of the latency and performance issues from the user hosting the server. The users connection would not be able to handle a big server, so server sizes will be going down.

Cheating

With punkbuster being removed and in it’s place VAC, the game is now more prone to cheating. Punkbuster is a good, but annoying method to counteract cheating, instead of leaving it in they replaced it with something worse. You can see other games like Counter Strike and how easy it is to cheat when using VAC. Cheating makes the game less fun and if you can’t win it’s worthless to you.

No custom content or mods.

You won’t be able to set up a game with custom maps or mods because there are no dedicated servers to run them on. Since there is no SDK and no dedicated servers there will be no custom content. Since there would be no custom content they can nail you with map packs for a price.

Map Packs+Patches (DLC) on the PC may not be free anymore.

Game developers and publishers create DLC on the consoles because there is nothing more that users can do with what came with the actual game. In order to give them more they charge them for more. With the PC, people would create mods and maps for free for users to play with. With no custom content for MW2, Infinity Ward and Activision can now charge you for extras. Where they would be free for games that are open to the community (L4D, CS, and more), it can now be something that they can make some money off of.

Lack of Control over rules, etc.

In a dedicated server scenario, the person that is running the server can ban anyone that they want. In a Matchmaking system, everyone has to vote on whether or not the person they want kicked should be or not, it’s not the same as an instant ban against the person. You can also control the game exactly the way that you want it on a dedicated server, like rules, map configurations, mods, etc.

No clan servers

Clans will no longer have a place where they can call home. They won’t have a place where they can just go and play with their fellow clan members and just do whatever. Clans won’t be able to run private servers where they can train or practice or just play with custom rules on purpose for specific scenarios/etc. With this change it will just make things harder for everyone.

These are just some of the main reasons why PC gamers want dedicated servers over a matchmaking system. There is however a bigger picture behind why this is happening. Infinity Ward and Activison and ALL the other game developers and publishers are starting to not care for the PC gaming group. Instead of putting time and effort into the PC version of the game, they are just porting the game directly from consoles and not caring what happens to the PC version. Patches are usually released latter than the console version and so are map packs. With the dedicated servers being removed Infinity Ward is putting one of the final nails in the coffin of PC gaming as we knew it, which was open and filled with support.

Maybe in the end of the battle between PC Gamers and Infinity Ward/Activison we might get a compromise of options to have both Dedicated Servers and Matchmaking service, but hopes for that are slim. With the petition growing ever so largely, all we can do is hope that change will happen for both the game and the way that the PC is viewed as a gaming platform.

Quoted from http://www.dotdosh.com/main/why-dedicated-servers-in-mw2-is-important-to-pc-gamers
Ghost_000
Ghost_000

Male Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2007-10-30

Back to top Go down

Sad News for COD4 MW2, no dedicated server anymore! Empty Re: Sad News for COD4 MW2, no dedicated server anymore!

Post  pksllayer October 19th 2009, 8:37 pm

wow that really sucks a lot :/

pksllayer
Administrator

Male Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2007-11-22

Back to top Go down

Sad News for COD4 MW2, no dedicated server anymore! Empty Re: Sad News for COD4 MW2, no dedicated server anymore!

Post  Ghost_000 October 20th 2009, 2:33 am

ya... i heard that bf3 is going to do the similar thing...
Ghost_000
Ghost_000

Back to top Go down

Post  DareTheDevil October 20th 2009, 8:59 pm

WHAT THE HELL?!

DareTheDevil

Male Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghost_000 October 21st 2009, 3:03 am

if fact, not only Activevision, EA and Blizzard gonna start this type of game hosting in their future products as well, hopefully not real...

btw, there is a petition that you can sign, but I doubt Activision will even bother about it..

http://www.petitiononline.com/dedis4mw/petition.html
Ghost_000
Ghost_000

Back to top Go down

Post  DareTheDevil October 21st 2009, 4:24 pm

Could someone explain to me why they are planning on something like this?

DareTheDevil

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghost_000 October 21st 2009, 4:33 pm

I think they trying to prevent piracy.... like people using Garena to play pirate dota and l4d now...

Not very sure why they are doing this.
Ghost_000
Ghost_000

Back to top Go down

Post  pksllayer October 22nd 2009, 12:51 am

no point la, people will always find a way to play their pirated games

pksllayer
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghost_000 October 22nd 2009, 3:07 am

ya.... perhaps steam pay them more!!!
Ghost_000
Ghost_000

Back to top Go down

Post  clearwater87 October 25th 2009, 11:30 am

ridiculoussss!! no way man. whats with the developers man! argh.
clearwater87
clearwater87
Clan Leader

Male Number of posts : 670
Registration date : 2007-08-18

https://clansgaf.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DareTheDevil November 5th 2009, 8:20 pm

Oh my.... I've stopped gaming completely Shocked
I guess I can only game in Singapore or something Razz

DareTheDevil

Back to top Go down

Post  AceComBat007 November 7th 2009, 3:46 pm

Wow i been afk from forum. Checked it out today haha well so sorry. Okay so now matchmaking is like L4D??? Where u juz click "Join a game online" and auto join!? WTF!? But we do have a way to join into a same server, IP. No matter what, we still can join in the same server by typing in the IP. We juz have to find out the server's IP. So chill guys, we vote and hope for the best. Or else, email to the producer of the game!
AceComBat007
AceComBat007

Male Number of posts : 852
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  pksllayer November 7th 2009, 4:45 pm

aiyah whole clan so inactive dunno when we are even going to play la.

pksllayer
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghost_000 November 8th 2009, 12:54 am

pksllayer wrote:aiyah whole clan so inactive dunno when we are even going to play la.

everyone has been busy with study... let's just hope during their holiday we have more active members, at least we haven't officially died!!!
Ghost_000
Ghost_000

Back to top Go down

Post  pksllayer November 8th 2009, 6:53 pm

lol actually i shouldnt talk Smile having exams now lor ahha

pksllayer
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AceComBat007 November 9th 2009, 2:25 pm

For me now is holiday le, bt nt sure if the seniors r having holidays too =(
AceComBat007
AceComBat007

Back to top Go down

Post  Des7.ny November 12th 2009, 1:11 pm

Hi guys! Been really away for a long time. I've been busy with work and just can't commit time to game for long. I'm actually sticking to simple Facebook games, somehow they're quite addictive too. HAHA!! But the news about dedicated servers really suck man. Makes me consider twice before buying the game, somemore the game not cheap. I don't want to buy and play with moderate-severe lag. Then what's the point of online gaming if it's not smooth.
Des7.ny
Des7.ny
Administrator

Male Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2007-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghost_000 November 12th 2009, 2:37 pm

agreed!!

anyway, who's going to buy it??? call me leh, we buy together!!
Ghost_000
Ghost_000

Back to top Go down

Post  clearwater87 November 12th 2009, 2:55 pm

lols good to see u again destiny. stuff in sch really keeping our hands full. haha ghost.. hydriz and ace got their copy alrdy lol
clearwater87
clearwater87
Clan Leader

Male Number of posts : 670
Registration date : 2007-08-18

https://clansgaf.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghost_000 November 12th 2009, 3:20 pm

clearwater87 wrote:lols good to see u again destiny. stuff in sch really keeping our hands full. haha ghost.. hydriz and ace got their copy alrdy lol

lol, hydriz... never call me!!!
Ghost_000
Ghost_000

Back to top Go down

Post  Des7.ny November 13th 2009, 6:43 am

i saw hydriz's personal msg saying it rocked. but if the online play is not solved, i certainly won't be buying the game. i heard it's only 9v9 or something? haven't went to read up much on the game though. so maybe those who have tried should enlighten us.
Des7.ny
Des7.ny
Administrator

Male Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2007-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  AceComBat007 November 13th 2009, 9:34 am

I tried, the graphics is imba. Seriously imba, plus the single player is "a word ______ that is more imba than imba."
AceComBat007
AceComBat007

Back to top Go down

Post  Hydriz November 13th 2009, 6:18 pm

Ya, i bought the game. Now level 46 liao. Damn hard to slowly level to 70. Sad.

I personally would say if you know enough singaporeans, you might just have a perfect game to play with. During the times i played, there are many occasions whereby Singaporeans hosted the game. It went smooth, excluding the part whereby my lousy gfx card is screwing my fps up. Other than that, it's awesome.

The guns are relatively new with more dynamic gameplay as compared to the smaller maps in COD4. The gfx itself is good too. Lastly, the content of the game is good too. Achievements, titles, emblems, perks, attachments, etc. I like it, and i believe it sets the standard for future fps games.

However, if you guys are just deciding between COD6 and the upcoming BF game, i prefer you guys to wait for BF game to come out.
Hydriz
Hydriz
Administrator

Male Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2007-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post  pksllayer November 14th 2009, 5:39 am

yes. the upcoming BF game please Very Happy

pksllayer
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  nemesis November 15th 2009, 5:01 am

wait..u said someone hosting meaning from his own pc?
not laggy ah? cos home bandwidth may not be enough..

tell us abt your experience when you were able to find a local server...

but i heard its max 9v9 only?
nemesis
nemesis

Male Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2009-04-13

http://www.fragnetics.com/forums

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next